[Python-Dev] Re: Un-stalling Berkeley DB support

Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:41:57 -0500 (CDT)

    Greg> On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 02:03:21PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
    >>
    >> When we last discussed this subject, there was general support for
    >> the functionality, but a couple of people went "bletch!" about
    >> SWIG-generated code (there was unhappiness about pointers being
    >> treated as strings).
    Greg> I'm not surprised to see the "bletch!" for SWIG's string/pointer
    Greg> things, they are technically gross.

We're talking about a wrapper around a single smallish library (probably <
20 exposed functions), right?  Seems to me that SWIG is the wrong tool to
use here.  It's for wrapping massive libraries automatically.  Why not just
recode the current SWIG-generated module manually?

What am I missing?

--
Skip Montanaro, skip@mojam.com, http://www.mojam.com/, http://www.musi-cal.com/
"To get what you want you must commit yourself for sometime" - fortune cookie