[Python-Dev] cannot commit 1.6 changes

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:29:58 -0500

> I have taken care of removing all occurences of math.rint()
> from the 1.6 sources. The commit worked fine for the Doc,
> Include and Module directory, but cvs won't let me commit
> the changes to config.h.in, configure.in, configure:
>
> cvs server: sticky tag `cnri-16-start' for file `config.h.in' is not a
> branch
> cvs server: sticky tag `cnri-16-start' for file `configure' is not a
> branch
> cvs server: sticky tag `cnri-16-start' for file `configure.in' is not a
> branch
> cvs [server aborted]: correct above errors first!
>
> What am I missing?

The error message is right.  Somehow whoever set those tags on those
files did not make them branch tags.  I don't know why -- I think it
was Fred, I don't know why he did that.  The quickest way to fix this
is to issue the command

  cvs tag -F -b -r <revision> cnri-16-start <file>

for each file, where <whatever> is the revision where the tag should
be and <file> is the file.  Note that -F means "force" (otherwise you
get a complaint because the tag is already defined) and -b means
"branch" which makes the tag a branch tag.  I *believe* that branch
tags are recognized because they have the form

I alread did this for you for these three files!

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)