'import x as y' stops the show (was: Re: [Python-Dev] [Patch #101135] 'import x as y' and 'from x import y as z' (fwd))

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:24:19 +0200

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 07:02:12AM +0000, Peter Schneider-Kamp wrote:
> Thomas Wouters wrote:
> >
> > For those of you not on the patches list, here's the summary of the patch I
> > just uploaded to SF. In short, it adds "import x as y" and "from module
> > import x as y", in the way Tim proposed this morning. (Probably late last
> > night for most of you.)

> -1 on the implementation. Although it looked okay on a first visual
>    inspection, it builds a segfaulting python executable on linux:
>       make distclean && ./configure && make test
>    segfaults when first time starting python to run regrtest.py.
>    Reversing the patch and doing a simple 'make test' has everything
>    running again.

Try running 'make' in 'Grammar/' first. None of my patches that touch
Grammar include the changes to graminit.h and graminit.c, because they can
be quite lengthy (in the order of several thousand lines, in this case, if
I'm not mistaken.) So the same goes for the 'indexing for', 'range literal'
and 'augmented assignment' patches ;)

If it still goes crashy crashy after you re-make the grammar, I'll, well,
I'll, I'll make Baldrick eat one of his own dirty socks ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>