[Python-Dev] Adding library modules to the core

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:28:34 +0200

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Greg Ward wrote:
>
> > Sounds worth a PEP to me; I think it should be distinct from (and in
> > competition with!) PEP 206.
>
> That's sort of why I wanted to keep this off Python-Dev: I don't think
> so (I don't really want competing PEPs), I'd rather we hashed out our
> differences in private and come up with a unified PEP to save everyone
> on Python-Dev a lot of time.
>
> So let's keep the conversation off python-dev until we either reach
> a consensus or agree to disagree.

Just a side note: As I recall Guido is not willing to include
all these third party tools to the core distribution, but rather
to a SUMO Python distribution, which then includes Python +
all those nice goodies available to the Python Community.

Maintaining this SUMO distribution should, IMHO, be left to
a commercial entity like e.g. ActiveState or BeOpen to insure
quality and robustness -- this is not an easy job, believe me.
I've tried something like this before: it was called Python
PowerTools and should still be available at:

  http://starship.python.net/crew/lemburg/PowerTools-0.2.zip

I never got far, though, due to the complexity of getting
all that Good Stuff under one umbrella.

Perhaps you ought to retarget you PEP206, Moshe ?!

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg