[Python-Dev] 2nd thought: fully qualified host names

Peter Schneider-Kamp nowonder@nowonder.de
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:29:28 +0000

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> If this is for helo() and ehlo(), screw it. No sane mailer, technician or
> abuse desk employee pays any attention what so ever to the HELO message,
> except possibly for debugging.

Well, there are some MTAs (like Postfix) that seem to care. Postfix has
an option called "reject_non_fqdn_hostname" with the following description:

"""
Reject the request when the hostname in the client HELO (EHLO) command is not in
fully-qualified domain form, as required by the RFC. The non_fqdn_reject_code
specifies the response code to rejected requests (default: 504)."""

The submittor of the bug which was addressed by the patch I checked in had
a problem with mailman and a postfix program that seemed to have this option
turned on.

What I am proposing for smtplib is to send every name given to
helo (or ehlo) through the guessing framework of gethostbyaddr()
if possible. Could this hurt anything?

> Of course, if anyone else needs a FQDN, it might be worth exposing this
> algorithm.... but smtplib doesn't seem like the proper place ;P

Agreed. Where could it go?

Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter@schneider-kamp.de