[Python-Dev] xxx.get_fqdn() for the standard lib

Peter Schneider-Kamp nowonder@nowonder.de
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:29:04 +0000

After sleeping over it, I noticed that at least
BaseHTTPServer and ftplib also use a similar
algorithm to get a fully qualified domain name.

Together with smtplib there are four occurences
of the algorithm (2 in BaseHTTPServer). I think
it would be good not to have four, but one
implementation.

First I thought it could be socket.get_fqdn(),
but it seems a bit troublesome to write it in C.

Should this go somewhere? If yes, where should
it go?

I'll happily prepare a patch as soon as I know
where to put it.

Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter@schneider-kamp.de