[Python-Dev] Preventing recursion core dumps

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:13:13 +0300 (IDT)

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> It would be good if there was a way to sense the remaining available
> stack, even if it wasn't portable.  Any Linux experts out there?

I'm far from an expert, but I might have an idea. The question is: must
this works for embedded version of Python, or can I fool around with
main()?

Here's the approach:

 - In main(), get the address of some local variable. Call this
        min
 - Call getrlimit, and see the stack size. Call max = min+ (<stack size )
 - When checking for "too much recursion", take the address of a local
   variable and compare it against max. If it's higher, stop.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.