[Python-Dev] noreply@sourceforge.net: [Python-bugs-list] [Bug #111620] lots of use of send() without verifyi ng amount of data sent.

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:21:09 +0200

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 03:55:01PM +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> guido wrote:
> > I just read the man page for send() (Red Hat linux 6.1) and it doesn't
> > mention sending fewer than all bytes at all.  In fact, while it says
> > that the return value is the number of bytes sent, it at least
> > *suggests* that it will return an error whenever not everything can be
> > sent -- even in non-blocking mode.

> > Under what circumstances can send() return a smaller number?

> never, it seems:

[snip manpage]

Indeed. I didn't actually check the story, since Guido was apparently
convinced by its validity. I was just operating under the assumption that
send() did behave like write(). I won't blindly believe Guido anymore ! :)

Someone set the patch to 'rejected' and tell the submittor that 'send'
doesn't return the number of bytes written ;-P

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>