[Python-Dev] Directions for reproducing the coredump

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 13:36:14 +0200

"Eric S. Raymond" wrote:

> Ka-Ping Yee <ping@lfw.org>:
> > One thing i ran into as a result of trying to run it under the
> > debugger, though: turning on cursesmodule was slightly nontrivial.
> > There's no cursesmodule.c; it's _cursesmodule.c instead; but
> > Modules/Setup says "#curses cursesmodule.c".  Taking out the "#"
> > wasn't sufficient; i had to edit and insert the underscores by hand
> > to get curses to work.
>
> Your Setup is out of date.
>
> But this reminds me.  There's way too much hand-hacking in the Setup
> mechanism.  It wouldn't be hard to enhance the Setup format to support
> #if/#endif so that config.c generation could take advantage of
> configure tests.  That way, Setup could have constructs in it like
> this:
>
> #if defined(CURSES)
> #if defined(linux)
> _curses _cursesmodule.c -lncurses
> #else
> _curses _cursesmodule.c -lcurses -ltermcap
> #endif
> #endif
>
> I'm willing to do and test this.

This would be a *cool* thing to have :-)

Definitely +1 from me if it's done in a portable way.

(Not sure how you would get this to run without the C preprocessor
though -- and Python's Makefile doesn't provide any information
on how to call it in a platform independent way. It's probably
cpp on most platforms, but you never know...)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg