[Python-Dev] minimal stackless

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 15:37:42 -0400

Vladimir Marangozov <Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr>:
> That is, a minimal stackless implementation which gives us an equivalent
> VM as we have it today with the C stack. This is what I'd like to see
> first in the stackless PEP too. No mixtures with continuations & co.
>
> The call/cc issue is "application domain" for me -- it relies on top of
> the minimal stackless and would come only as an exported interface to the
> control flow management of the VM. Therefore, it must be completely
> optional (both in terms of lazy decision on whether it should be included
> someday).

I'm certainly among the call/cc fans, and I guess I'm weakly in the
"Stackless proponent" camp, and I agree.  These issues should be
separated.  If minimal stackless mods to ceval can solve (for example) the
stack overflow problem I just got bitten by, we ought to integrate
them for 2.0 and then give any new features a separate and thorough debate.

I too will be happy to test a minimal-stackless patch.  Come on, Christian,
the ball's in your court.  This is your best chance to get stackless
accepted.
--

When only cops have guns, it's called a "police state".
        -- Claire Wolfe, "101 Things To Do Until The Revolution"