[Python-Dev] Feature freeze!

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 19:57:29 -0400

[Vladimir Marangozov]
> This reminder comes JIT!
>
> Then please make coincide the above dates/instants with the status of
> the open patches and take a stance on them: assign them to people,
> postpone, whatever.
>
> I deliberately postponed my object malloc patch.

I don't know why.  It's been there quite a while, and had non-trivial
support for inclusion in 2.0.  A chance to consider the backlog of patches
as a stable whole is why the two weeks between "feature freeze" and 2.0b1
exists!

> PS: this is also JIT as per the stackless discussion -- I mentioned
> "consider for inclusion" which was interpreted as "inclusion for 2.0"
> <frown>. God knows that I tried to be very careful when writing my
> position statement... OTOH, there's still a valid deadline for 2.0!

I doubt any variant of Stackless has a real shot for 2.0 at this point,
although if a patch shows up before Sunday ends I won't Postpone it without
reason (like, say, Guido tells me to).

> PPS: is the pep-0200.html referenced above up to date? For instance,
> I see it mentions SET_LINENO pointing to old references, while a newer
> postponed patch is at SourceForge.
>
> A "last modified <date>" stamp would be nice.

I agree, but yaaaawn <wink>.  CVS says it was last modified before Jeremy
went on vacation.  It's not up to date.  The designated release manager in
Jeremy's absence apparently didn't touch it.  I can't gripe about that,
though, because he's my boss <wink>.  He sent me email today saying "tag,
now you're it!" (Guido will be gone all next week).  My plate is already
full, though, and I won't get around to updating it today.

Yes, this is no way to run a release, and so I don't have any confidence
that the release dates in pep200 will be met.  Still, I was arguing for
feature freeze two months ago, and so as long as "I'm it" I'm not inclined
to slip the schedule on *that* part.  I bet it will be at least 3 weeks
before 2.0b1 hits the streets, though.

in-any-case-feature-freeze-is-on-the-critical-path-so-the-sooner-
    the-better-ly y'rs  - tim