[Python-Dev] RE: list comprehensions (was parsers and compilers for 2.0)

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:13:40 -0400

Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>:
> My main beef with the syntax is that it is, in my eyes, unpythonic. It has
> an alien, forced feel to it, much more so than the 'evil' map/filter/reduce.
> It doesn't 'fit' into Python the way most of the other features do; it's
> simply syntactic sugar for a specific kind of for-loop. It doesn't add any
> extra functionality, and for that large a syntactic change, I guess that
> scares me.

I agree 100% with all of this.
--

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who
inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government,