[Python-Dev] 2nd thought: fully qualified host names

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:13:21 -0400 (EDT)

    TW> Fine, the patch addresses that. When the hostname passed to
    TW> smtplib is "" (which is the default), it should be turned into
    TW> a FQDN. I agree. However, if someone passed in a name, we do
    TW> not know if they even *want* the name turned into a FQDN. In
    TW> the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.

Just to weigh in after the fact, I agree with Thomas.  All this stuff
is primarily there to generate something sane for the default empty
string argument.  If the library client passes in their own name,
smtplib.py should use that as given.

-Barry