[Python-Dev] Release Satii

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:28:10 -0400

1.6:  Is done, but being held back (by us -- two can play at this game
<wink>) pending resolution of license issues.  Since 2.0 will be a
derivative work of 1.6, the license that goes out with 1.6 affects us
forever after.  Can't say more about that because I don't know more; and
Guido is out of town this week.

2.0:  Full steam ahead!  Just finished going thru every patch on
SourceForge.  What's Open at this instant is *it* for new 2.0 features.
More accurately, they're the only new features that will still be
*considered* for 2.0 (not everything in Open now will necessarily be
accepted).  The only new patches that won't be instantly Postponed from now
until 2.0 final ships are bugfixes.  Some oddities:

+ 8 patches remain unassigned.  7 of those are part of a single getopt
crusade (well, two getopt crusades, since as always happens when people go
extending getopt, they can't agree about what to do), and if nobody speaks
in their favor they'll probably get gently rejected.  The eighth is a CGI
patch from Ping that looks benign to me but is incomplete (missing doc
changes).

+ /F's Py_ErrFormat patch got moved back from Rejected to Open so we can
find all the putative 2.0 patches in one SF view (i.e., Open).

I've said before that I have no faith in the 2.0 release schedule.  Here's
your chance to make a fool of me -- and in public too <wink>!

nothing-would-make-me-happier-ly y'rs  - tim