[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] [Patch #101175] Fix slight bug in the Ref manual docs on listcomprehensions

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:57:18 +1200 (NZST)

Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>:

> Comment by tim_one:

> [x if 6] should not be a legal expression but the grammar allows it today.

Why shouldn't it be legal?

The meaning is quite clear (either a one-element list or an empty
list). It's something of a degenerate case, but I don't think
degenerate cases should be excluded simply because they're
degenerate.

Excluding it will make both the implementation and documentation
more complicated, with no benefit that I can see.