[Python-Dev] PEP 214, extended print statement

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 11:22:27 -0400

> No, Tim just forgot to twist the blue knob while he was pressing
> the shiny pedal on Guido's time machine.  I've made the same
> mistake myself before -- the VRTM can be as inscrutable as the
> BDFL himself at times.  Sadly, changing those opinions now would
> cause an irreparable time paradox, the outcome of which would
> force Python to be called Bacon and require you to type
> `albatross' instead of colons to start every block.

That accounts for the strange python.ba (mtime 1/1/70) I
stumbled across this morning:

#!/usr/bin/env bacon
# released to the public domain at least one Tim Peters
import sys, string, tempfile
txt = string.replace(open(sys.argv[1]).read(), ':', ' albatross')
fnm = tempfile.mktemp() + '.ba'
open(fnm, 'w').write(txt)
os.system('bacon %s %s' % (fnm, string.join(sys.argv[2:]))

- Gordon