[Python-Dev] PEP 214, extended print statement

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:58:25 -0400

>     TW> Really ? Hmmmm...
>
>     TW> [Tim Peters]
>     >> Me too!  +1 on changing ">>" to "to" here.  Then we can
>     >> introduce
>     TW> I guessed I missed the sarcasm ;-P

[Barry A. Warsaw]
> No, Tim just forgot to twist the blue knob while he was pressing the
> shiny pedal on Guido's time machine.  I've made the same mistake
> myself before -- the VRTM can be as inscrutable as the BDFL himself at
> times.  Sadly, changing those opinions now would cause an irreparable
> time paradox, the outcome of which would force Python to be called
> Bacon and require you to type `albatross' instead of colons to start
> every block.
>
> good-thing-tim-had-the-nose-plugs-in-or-Python-would-only-work-on-
> 19-bit-architectures-ly y'rs,

I have no idea what this is about.  I see an old msg from Barry voting "-1"
on changing ">>" to "to", but don't believe any such suggestion was ever
made.  And I'm sure that had such a suggestion ever been made, it would have
been voted down at once by everyone.

OTOH, there is *some* evidence that an amateur went mucking with the time
machine! No 19-bit architectures, but somewhere in a reality distortion
field around Vancouver, it appears that AIX actually survived long enough to
see the 64-bit world, and that some yahoo vendor decided to make a version
of C where sizeof(void*) > sizeof(long).  There's no way either of those
could have happened naturally.

even-worse-i-woke-up-today-*old*!-ly y'rs  - tim