[Python-Dev] pthreads question: typedef ??? pthread_t and hacky return statements

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:55:56 -0700

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 08:26:10PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     GS> The NPL is not compatible with the Python license. While we
>     GS> could use their API as a guide for our own code, we cannot use
>     GS> their code.

>     TP> Jesus, Mark, I haven't even been able to figure what the
>     TP> license means by "you" yet:
>
> Is the NPL compatible with /anything/? :)

All kinds of stuff. It is effectively a non-viral GPL. Any changes to the
NPL/MPL licensed stuff must be released. It does not affect the stuff that
it is linked/dist'd with.

However, I was talking about the Python source code base. The Python license
and the NPL/MPL are definitely compatible. I mean that we don't want both
licenses in the Python code base.

Hmm. Should have phrased that differently.

And one nit: the NPL is very different from the MPL. NPL x.x is nasty, while
MPL 1.1 is very nice.

Note the whole MPL/GPL dual-license stuff that you see (Expat and now
Mozilla) is not because they are trying to be nice, but because they are
trying to compensate for the GPL's nasty viral attitude. You cannot use MPL
code in a GPL product because the *GPL* says so. The MPL would be perfectly
happy, but no... Therefore, people dual-license so that you can choose the
GPL when linking with GPL code.

Ooops. I'll shut up now. :-)

Cheers,
-g