[Python-Dev] Request for help w/ bsddb module

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:46:32 -0400

[CC'ed to python-dev, python-list]

I've started writing a straight C version of Greg Smith's BSDDB3
module (http://electricrain.com/greg/python/bsddb3/), which currently
uses SWIG.  The code isn't complete enough to do anything yet, though
it does compile.

Now I'm confronted with writing around 60 different methods for 3
different types; the job doesn't look difficult, but it does look
tedious and lengthy.  Since the task will parallelize well, I'm asking
if anyone wants to help out by writing the code for one of the types.

If you want to help, grab Greg's code from the above URL, and my
incomplete module from
ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/amk/new/_bsddb.c.  Send me an
e-mail telling me which set of methods (those for the DB, DBC, DB_Env
types) you want to implement before starting to avoid duplicating
work.  I'll coordinate, and will debug the final product.

(Can this get done in time for Python 2.0?  Probably.  Can it get
tested in time for 2.0?  Ummm....)

--amk