[Python-Dev] Re: gettext in the standard library

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:21:23 +0200

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> Apologies for duplicates to those of you already on python-dev...
>
> I've been working on merging all the various implementations of Python
> interfaces to the GNU gettext libraries.  I've worked from code
> contributed by Martin, James, and Peter.  I now have something that
> seems to work fairly well so I thought I'd update you all.
>
> After looking at all the various wizzy and experimental stuff in these
> implementations, I opted for simplicity, mostly just so I could get my
> head around what was needed.  My goal was to build a fast C wrapper
> module around the C library, and to provide a pure Python
> implementation of an identical API for platforms without GNU gettext.

Sounds cool.

I know that gettext is a standard, but from a technology POV
I would have implemented this as codec wich can then be plugged
wherever l10n is needed, since strings have the new .encode()
method which could just as well be used to convert not only the
string into a different encoding, but also a different language.
Anyway, just a thought...

What I'm missing in your doc-string is a reference as to how
well gettext works together with Unicode. After all, i18n is
among other things about international character sets.
Have you done any experiments in this area ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg