[Python-Dev] BSDDB 3 module now somewhat functional

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:15:53 -0400

The handwritten BSDDB3 module has just started actually functioning.
It now runs the dbtest.py script without core dumps or reported
errors.  Code is at ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/amk/new/ ; grab
db.py and the most recent _bsddb.c.

I started from Greg Smith's 3.1.x port of Robin Dunn's module.  You'll
have to struggle a bit with integrating it into Greg's package and
compiling it (replacing db.py with my version, and modifying Setup to
compile _bsddb.c).  I haven't integrated it more, because I'm not sure
how we want to proceed with it.  Robin/Greg, do you want to continue
to maintain the package?  ...in which I'll contribute the code to one
or both of you.  Or, I can take over maintaining the package, or we
can try to get the module into Python 2.0, but with the feature freeze
well advanced, I'm doubtful that it'll get in.

Still missing: Cursor objects still aren't implemented -- Martin, if
you haven't started yet, let me know and I'll charge ahead with them
tomorrow.  Docstrings.  More careful type-checking of function
objects.  Finally, general tidying, re-indenting, and a careful
reading to catch any stupid errors that I made.

--amk