[Python-Dev] Re: gettext in the standard library

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 19:57:32 +0200

James Henstridge wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
> > > As I said above, most of that turned out not to be very useful.  Did you
> > > include any of the language selection code in the last version of my
> > > gettext module?  It gave behaviour very close to C gettext in this
> > > respect.  It expands the locale name given by the user using the
> > > locale.alias files found on the systems, then decomposes that into the
> > > simpler forms.  For instance, if LANG=en_GB, then my gettext module would
> > > search for catalogs by names:
> > >   ['en_GB.ISO8859-1', 'en_GB', 'en.ISO8859-1', 'en', 'C']
> > >
> > > This also allows things like expanding LANG=catalan to:
> > >   ['ca_ES.ISO-8859-1', 'ca_ES', 'ca.ISO-8859-1', 'ca', 'C']
> > > (provided the appropriate locale.alias files are found)
> > >
> > > If you missed that that version I sent you I can send it again.  It
> > > stripped out a lot of the experimental code giving a much simpler module.
> >
> > Uhm, can't you make some use of the new APIs in locale.py
> > for this ?
> >
> > locale.py has a whole new set of encoding aware support for
> > LANG variables. It supports Unix and Windows (thanks to /F).
>
> Well, it can do a little more than that.  It will also handle the case of
> a number of locales listed in the LANG environment variable.  It also
> doesn't look like it handles decomposition of a locale like
> ll_CC.encoding@modifier into other matching encodings in the correct
> precedence order.
>
> Maybe something to do this sort of decomposition would fit better in
> locale.py though.
>
> This sort of thing is very useful for people who know more than one
> language, and doesn't seem to be handled by plain setlocale()

I'm not sure I can follow you here: are you saying that your
support in gettext.py does more or less than what's present
in locale.py ?

If it's more, I think it would be a good idea to add those
parts to locale.py.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg