Canonical test_XXX.py - nope (was:Re: [Python-Dev] Re: Call for reviewer!)

Finn Bock bckfnn@worldonline.dk
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 18:34:53 GMT

[Tim Peters]

>I'd add one thing:  people use "assert" *way* too much in the test suite.

I'll second that.

>It's usually much better to just print what you got, and rely on regrtest's
>output-comparison to complain if what you get isn't what you expected.  The
>primary reason for this is that asserts "vanish" when Python is run
>using -O, so running regrtest in -O mode simply doesn't test *anything*
>caught by an assert.

It can also stop the test script from being used with JPython. A
difference that is acceptable (perhaps by necessity) will prevent the
remaining test from executing.

regards,
finn