[Python-Dev] Re: gettext in the standard library

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 12:31:25 +0200 (MET DST)

> Well, it's the same argument as always: better have one format
> which fits all than a new format for every application. XML
> suits these tasks nicely and is becoming more and more accepted
> these days.

I believe this is a deluding claim. First, XML is not *one* format; is
is rather a "meta format"; you still need the document type definition
(valid vs. well-formed). Furthermore, the XML argument is good if
there is no established data format for some application. If there is
already an accepted format, I see no value in converting that to XML.

Regards,
Martin