[Python-Dev] ...and the new name for our favourite little language is...

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:35:13 +0200

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 02:27:11PM +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> well, see for yourself:
> http://www.pythonlabs.com/logos.html

Oh, that reminds me, the FAQ needs adjusting ;) It still says:
"""
1.2. Why is it called Python?

Apart from being a computer scientist, I'm also a fan of "Monty Python's
Flying Circus" (a BBC comedy series from the seventies, in the -- unlikely
-- case you didn't know). It occurred to me one day that I needed a name
that was short, unique, and slightly mysterious. And I happened to be
reading some scripts from the series at the time... So then I decided to
call my language Python. But Python is not a joke. And don't you associate
it with dangerous reptiles either! (If you need an icon, use an image of the
16-ton weight from the TV series or of a can of SPAM :-)
"""

And while I'm at it, I hope I can say without offending anyone that I hope
the logo is open for critisism. Few (if any?) python species look that
green, making the logo looks more like an adder. And I think the more
majestic python species are cooler on a logo, anyway ;) If whoever makes the
logos wants, I can go visit the small reptile-zoo around the corner from
where I live and snap some pictures of the Pythons they have there (they
have great Tiger-Pythons, including an albino one!)

I-still-like-the-shirt-though!-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>