[Python-Dev] 2.0 Release Plans

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:44:56 +0200

Tim Peters wrote:

> PythonLabs had a high-decibel meeting today (well, Monday), culminating in
> Universal Harmony.  Jeremy will be updating PEP 200 accordingly.  Just three
> highlights:
>
> + The release schedule has Officially Slipped by one week:  2.0b1 will ship
> a week from this coming Monday.  There are too many Open and Accepted
> patches backed up to meet the original date.  Also problems cropping up,
> like new std tests failing to pass every day (you're not supposed to do
> that, you know!  consider yourself clucked at), and patches having to be
> redone because of other patches getting checked in.  We want to take the
> extra week to do this right, and give you more space to do *your* part
> right.
>
> + While only one beta release is scheduled at this time, we reserve the
> right to make a second beta release if significant problems crop up during
> the first beta period.  Of course that would cause additional slippage of
> 2.0 final, if it becomes necessary.  Note that "no features after 2.0b1 is
> out!" still stands, regardless of how many beta releases there are.

Does this mean I can still splip in that minor patch to allow
for attribute doc-strings in 2.0b1 provided I write up a short
PEP really fast ;-) ?

BTW, what the new standard on releasing ideas to dev public ?
I know I'll have to write a PEP, but where should I put the
patch ? Into the SF patch manager or on a separate page on the
Internet ?

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg