[Python-Dev] 2.0 Release Plans

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:30:23 -0400

[/F, on "add os.popen2 support for Unix"]
> to reduce my load somewhat, maybe someone who does
> Python 2.0 development on a Unix box could produce that
> patch?

Sounds like a more than reasonable idea to me; heck, AFAIK, until you
mentioned you thought it was on your plate, we didn't think it was on
*anyone's* plate.  It simply "came up" on its own at the PythonLabs mtg
yesterday (which I misidentified as "Monday" in an earlier post).

Can we get a volunteer here?  Here's /F's explanation:

> anyway, fixing this is pretty straightforward:
>
> 1) move the class (etc) from popen2.py to os.py
>
> 2) modify the "if hasattr" stuff; change
>
>     # popen2.py
>     if hasattr(os, "popen2"):
>         def popen2(...):
>             # compatbility code, using os.popen2
>     else:
>         def popen2(...):
>             # unix implementation

>     # popen2.py
>     def popen2(...):
>         # compatibility code
>
>     # os.py
>     def popen2(...)
>         # unix implementation, with the order of
>         # the return values changed to (child_stdin,
>         # child_stdout, child_stderr)

[on \x, \u and \U]
> if someone else can do the popen2 stuff, I'll take care
> of this one!

It's a deal as far as I'm concerned.  Thanks!  I'll finish the \x PEP
anyway, though, as it's already in progress.

Jeremy, please update PEP 200 accordingly (after you volunteer to do the
os.popen2 etc bit for Unix(tm) <wink>).