[Python-Dev] Re: anyone tried Python 2.0 with Tk 8.3.2?

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:25:57 -0500

> > doesn't work too well for me -- Tkinter._test() tends to hang
> > when I press quit (not every time, though).  the only way to
> > shut down the process is to reboot.
>
> hmm.  it looks like it's more likely to hang if the program
> uses unicode strings.
>
>     Tkinter._test() hangs about 2 times out of three
>
>     same goes for a simple test program that passes a
>     unicode string constant (containing Latin-1 chars)
>     to a Label
>
>     the same test program using a Latin-1 string (which,
>     I suppose, is converted to Unicode inside Tk) hangs
>     in about 1/3 of the runs.
>
>     the same test program with a pure ASCII string
>     never hangs...
>
> confusing.

Try going back to Tk 8.2.

We had this problem with Tk 8.3.1 in Python 1.6a1; for a2, I went back
to 8.2.x (the latest).  Then for 1.6b1 I noticed that 8.3.2 was out
and after a light test it appeared to be fine, so I switched to
8.3.2.  But I've seen this too, and maybe 8.3 still isn't stable
enough.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)