[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/nondist/peps pep-0203.txt,1.11,1.12

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:16:20 +0200

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 04:11:31AM -0700, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> !     [XXX so I am accepting this, but I'm a bit worried about the
> !     argument coercion.  For x+=y, if x supports augmented assignment,
> !     y should only be cast to x's type, not the other way around!]

Oh, note that I chose not to do *any* coercion, if x supports the in-place
operation. I'm not sure how valuable coercion would be, here, at least not
in its current form. (Isn't coercion mostly used by integer types ? And
aren't they immutable ? If an in-place method wants to have its argument
coerced, it should do so itself, just like with direct method calls.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>