[Python-Dev] Re: c.l.p.a -- what needs to be done ?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:12:34 -0400 (EDT)

    M> I've asked this question before: when are we going to see
    M> comp.lang.python.announce back online ?

    M> If this is all it takes to post to a moderated newsgroup,
    M> fixing Mailman to do the trick should be really simple.

    M> I'm willing to help here to get this done *before* the Python
    M> 2.0beta1 announcement.

MAL, you must be reading my mind!

I've actually been working on some unofficial patches to Mailman that
will let list admins moderate a moderated newsgroup.  The technical
details are described in a recent post to mailman-developers[1].

I'm testing it out right now.  I first installed this on starship, but
there's no nntp server that starship can post to, so I've since moved
the list to python.org.  However, I'm still having some problems with
the upstream feed, or at least I haven't seen approved messages
appearing on deja or my ISP's server.  I'm not exactly sure why; could
just be propagation delays.

Anyway, if anybody does see my test messages show up in the newsgroup
(not the gatewayed mailing list -- sorry David), please let me know.

-Barry

[1] http://www.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2000-August/005388.html