[Python-Dev] (214)

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 12:20:59 -0400 (EDT)

    >> Can other people confirm that list->news is broken?

    TW> No, not really. I can confirm that not all messages make it to
    TW> the newsgroup: I can't find Tim's posting on PEP 214 anywhere
    TW> on comp.lang.py.  (and our new super-newsserver definately
    TW> keeps the postings around long enough, so I should be able to
    TW> see it, and I did get it through python-list!)

    TW> However, I *can* find some of my python-list submissions from
    TW> earlier today, so it hasn't completely gone to meet its maker,
    TW> either.

    TW> I can also confirm that python-dev itself seems to be missing
    TW> some messages.  I occasionally see messages quoted which I
    TW> haven't seen myself, and I've seen others complain that they
    TW> haven't seen my messages, as quoted in other mailings. Not
    TW> more than a handful in the last week or two, though, and they
    TW> *could* be attributed to dementia.

I found Tim's message in the archives, so I'm curious whether those
missing python-dev messages are also in the archives?  If so, that's a
good indication that Mailman is working, so the problem is upstream
from there.  I'm also not seeing any errors in the log files that
would indicate a Mailman problem.

I have seen some weird behavior from Postfix on that machine:
occasionally messages to my python.org addr, which should be forwarded
to my beopen.com addr just don't get forwarded.  They get dropped in
my spool file.  I have no idea why, and the mail logs don't give a
clue.  I don't know if any of that is related, although I did just
upgrade Postfix to the latest revision.  And there are about 3k
messages sitting in Postfix's queue waiting to go out though.

Sigh.  I really don't want to spend the next week debugging this
stuff. ;/

-Barry