[Python-Dev] (214)

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 18:32:24 +0200

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 12:20:59PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> I found Tim's message in the archives, so I'm curious whether those
> missing python-dev messages are also in the archives?  If so, that's a
> good indication that Mailman is working, so the problem is upstream
> from there.  I'm also not seeing any errors in the log files that
> would indicate a Mailman problem.

Well, I saw one message from Guido, where he was replying to someone who was
replying to Mark. Guido claimed he hadn't seen that original message
(Mark's), though I am certain I did see it. The recollections on missing
messages on my part are much more vague, though, so it *still* could be
attributed to dementia (of people, MUA's or MTA's ;)

I'll keep a closer eye on it, though.

> I have seen some weird behavior from Postfix on that machine:
> occasionally messages to my python.org addr, which should be forwarded
> to my beopen.com addr just don't get forwarded.  They get dropped in
> my spool file.  I have no idea why, and the mail logs don't give a
> clue.  I don't know if any of that is related, although I did just
> upgrade Postfix to the latest revision.  And there are about 3k
> messages sitting in Postfix's queue waiting to go out though.

Sendmail, baby! <duck> We're currently running postfix on a single machine
(www.hal2001.org, which also does the Mailman for it) mostly because our
current Sendmail setup has one huge advantage: it works. And it works fine.
We just don't want to change the sendmail rules or fiddle with out
mailertable-setup, but it works ! :-)

> Sigh.  I really don't want to spend the next week debugging this
> stuff. ;/

So don't. Do what any proper developer would do: proclaim there isn't enough
info (there isn't, unless you can find the thread I'm talking about, above.
I'll see if I can locate it for you, since I think I saved the entire thread
with 'must check this' in the back of my head) and don't fix it until it
happens again. I do not think this is Mailman related, though it might be
python.org-mailman related (as in, the postfix or the link on that machine,
or something.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>