[Python-Dev] Re: c.l.p.a -- what needs to be done ?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 10:31:05 +0200

Markus Fleck wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg:
> > I've had a look at the c.l.p.a postings and the only special
> > header they include is the "Approved: fleck@informatik.uni-bonn.de"
> > header.
>
> Basically, that's all it takes to post to a "moderated" newsgroup.
> (Talking about a case of "security by obscurity" here... :-/)
> Actually, the string following the "Approved: " may even be random...

Wow, so much for spam protection.

> In principle, I do have the time again to do daily moderation of incoming
> postings for c.l.py.a. Unfortunately, I currently lack the infrastructure
> (i.e. the moderation program), which went down together with the old
> starship. I was basically waiting for a version of Mailman that could be
> used to post to moderated newsgroups. (I should probably have been more
> vocal about that, or even should have started hacking Mailman myself... I
> *did* start to write something that would grab new announcements daily from
> Parnassus and post them to c.l.py.a, and I may even come to finish this in
> September, but that doesn't substitute for a "real" moderation tool for
> user-supplied postings. Also, it would probably be a lot easier for
> Parnassus postings to be built directly from the Parnassus database, instead
> from its [generated] HTML pages - the Parnassus author intended to supply
> such functionality, but I didn't hear from him yet, either.)
>
> So what's needed now? Primarily, a Mailman installation that can post to
> moderated newsgroups (and maybe also do the mail2list gatewaying for
> c.l.py.a), and a mail alias that forwards mail for
> python-announce@python.org to that Mailman address. Some "daily digest"
> generator for Parnassus announcements would be nice to have, too, but
> that can only come once the other two things work.
>
> Anyway, thanks for bringing this up again - it puts c.l.py.a at the
> top of my to-do list again (where it should be, of course ;-).

Barry has just installed a Mailman patch that allows gatewaying
to a moderated newsgroup.

He's also looking for volunteers to do the moderation. I guess
you should apply by sending Barry a private mail (see the
announcement on c.l.p.a ;-).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg