[Python-Dev] Pragma-style declaration syntax

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:44:30 +0200

> The basic syntax in the above examples is:
>
> 	"pragma" NAME "=" (NUMBER | STRING+)
>
> It has to be that simple to allow the compiler use the information
> at compilation time.

Can we have a bit more syntax, so other packages that inspect the source
(freeze and friends come to mind) can also use the pragma scheme?

Something like
	"pragma" NAME ("." NAME)+ "=" (NUMBER | STRING+)
should allow freeze to use something like

pragma freeze.exclude = "win32ui, sunaudiodev, linuxaudiodev"

which would be ignored by the compiler but interpreted by freeze.
And, if they're stored in the __pragma__ dictionary too, as was suggested
here, you can also add pragmas specific for class browsers, debuggers and such.