[Python-Dev] stack check on Unix: any suggestions?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:10:02 +0200

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     |     print i,resource.getrusage(resource.RUSAGE_SELF)
>
> My experience echos yours here MAL -- I've never seen anything
> from getrusage() that would be useful in this context. :/
>
> A configure script test would be useful, but you'd have to build a
> minimal Python interpreter first to run the script, wouldn't you?

I just experimented with this a bit: I can't seem to get
a plain C program to behave like the Python interpreter.

The C program can suck memory in large chunks and consume
great amounts of stack, it just doesn't dump core... (don't
know what I'm doing wrong here).

Yet the Python 2.0 interpreter only uses about 5MB of
memory at the time it dumps core -- seems strange to me,
since the plain C program can easily consume more than 20Megs
and still continues to run.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg