[Python-Dev] stack check on Unix: any suggestions?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:09:29 -0400 (EDT)

Thomas Wouters writes:
 > (getrlimit *does* work, so if we have getrlimit, we can 'calculate' the
 > maximum number of recursions from that.)

  Still no go -- we can calculate the number of recursions for a
particular call frame size (or expected mix of frame sizes, which is
really the same), but we can't predict recursive behavior inside a C
extension, which is a significant part of the problem (witness the SRE
experience).  That's why PyOS_StackCheck() actually has to do more
than test a counter -- if the counter is low but the call frames are
larger than our estimate, it won't help.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member