[Python-Dev] stack check on Unix: any suggestions?

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:17:10 -0500 (CDT)

    Thomas> Nah, as long as you can test how many recursions it would take
    Thomas> to run out of stack... But it's still not optimal: we're doing a
    Thomas> check at compiletime (or rather, configure-time) on a limit
    Thomas> which can change during the course of a single process,
    Thomas> nevermind a single installation ;P And I don't really like doing
    Thomas> a configure test that's just a program that tries to run out of
    Thomas> memory... it might turn out troublesome for systems with decent
    Thomas> sized stacks.

Not to mention which you'll get different responses depending on how heavily
the system is using VM, right?  If you are unlucky enough to build on a
memory-rich system then copy the python interpreter over to a memory-starved
system (or just run the interpreter while you have Emacs, StarOffice and
Netscape running), you may well run out of virtual memory a lot sooner than
your configure script thought.

Skip