[Python-Dev] Re: [PEP 224] Attribute Docstrings

Christian Tanzer tanzer@swing.co.at
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 08:23:08 +0200

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> wrote:

> > Triple quoted strings work -- that's what I'm constantly using. The
> > downside is, that the docstrings either contain spurious white space
> > or it messes up the layout of the code (if you start subsequent lines=

> > in the first column).
> =

> Just a question of how smart you doc string extraction
> tools are. Have a look at hack.py:

Come on. There are probably hundreds of hacks around to massage
docstrings. I've written one myself. Ka-Ping Yee suggested
inspect.py...

My point was that in such cases it is much better if the language does
it than if everybody does his own kludge. If a change of the Python
parser concerning this point is out of the question, why not have a
standard module providing this functionality (Ka-Ping Yee offered one
<nudge>, <nudge>).

Regards,
Christian

-- =

Christian Tanzer                                         tanzer@swing.co.=
at
Glasauergasse 32                                       Tel: +43 1 876 62 =
36
A-1130 Vienna, Austria                                 Fax: +43 1 877 66 =
92