[Python-Dev] Threads & autoconf

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:39:48 +0200

I'm trying to clean up the autoconf (and README) mess wrt. threads a bit,
but I think I need some hints ;) I can't figure out why there is a separate
--with-dec-threads option... Is there a reason it can't be autodetected like
we do for other thread systems ? Does DEC Unix do something very different
but functional when leaving out the '-threads' option (which is the only
thing -dec- adds) or is it just "hysterical raisins" ?

And then the systems that need different library/compiler flags/settings...
I suspect noone here has one of those machines ? It'd be nice if we could
autodetect this without trying every combination of flags/libs in autoconf
:P (But then, if we could autodetect, I assume it would've been done long
ago... right ? :)

Do we know if those systems still need those separate flags/libs ? Should we
leave a reference to them in the README, or add a separate README.threads
file with more extensive info about threads and how to disable them ? (I
think README is a bit oversized, but that's probably just me.) And are we
leaving threads on by default ? If not, the README will have to be
re-adjusted again :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>