[Python-Dev] unit testing and Python regression test

Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:58:27 -0500

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 02:27:14PM -0500, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
>There was recently some idle chatter in Guido's living room about
>using a unit testing framework (like PyUnit) for the Python regression
>test suite.  We're also writing tests for some DC projects, and need

Someone remembered my post of 23 Nov, I see...  The only other test
framework I know of is the unittest.py inside Quixote, written because
we thought PyUnit was kind of clunky.  Greg Ward, who primarily wrote
it, used more sneaky interpreter tricks to make the interface more
natural, though it still worked with Jython last time we checked (some
time ago, though).  No GUI, but it can optionally show the code coverage of a
test suite, too.

See http://x63.deja.com/=usenet/getdoc.xp?AN=683946404 for some notes
on using it.  Obviously I think the Quixote unittest.py is the best
choice for the stdlib.

--amk