[Python-Dev] Re: CVS: python/dist/src/Lib urllib.py,1.107,1.108

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun, 03 Dec 2000 23:51:10 +0100

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > You should make this: 'ascii' -- encoding names are lower case per
> > convention (and the implementation has a short-cut to speed up
> > conversion to 'ascii' -- not for 'ASCII').
>
> With conventions, it is a difficult story. I'm pretty certain that
> users typically see that particular american standard as ASCII (to the
> extend of calling it "a s c two"), not ascii.

It's a convention in the codec registry design and used as such
in the Unicode implementation.

> As for speed - feel free to change the code if you think it matters.

Hey... this was just a suggestion. I thought that you didn't
know of the internal short-cut and wanted to hint at it.

> > +             raise UnicodeError("URL "+repr(url)+" contains non-ASCII characters")
>
> > Would it be better to use a simple ValueError here ? (UnicodeError
> > is a subclass of ValueError, but the error doesn't really have
> > something to do with Unicode conversions...)
>
> Why does it not have to do with Unicode conversion? A conversion from
> Unicode to ASCII was attempted, and failed.

Sure, but the fact that URLs have to be ASCII is not something
that is enforced by the Unicode implementation.

> I guess I would be more open to suggested changes if you had put them
> into the patch manager at the time you've reviewed the patch...

I didn't review the patch, only the summary...

Don't have much time to look into these things closely right now, so
all I can do is comment.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg