[Python-Dev] Warning Framework (PEP 230)

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:58:39 +0100

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 11:02:29AM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> - A function in the warn module is better than one in the sys module.
>   "from warnings import warn" is good enough to not warrant a
>   built-in.  I get the sense that the PEP description is behind
>   Guido's currently implementation here.

+1 on this. I have a response to Guido's first posted PEP on my laptop, but
due to a weekend in Germany wasn't able to post it before he updated the
PEP. I guess I can delete the arguments for this, now ;) but lets just say I
think 'sys' is being a bit overused, and the case of a function in sys and
its data in another module is just plain silly.

> - When PyErr_Warn() returns 1, does that mean a warning has been
>   transmuted into an exception, or some other exception occurred
>   during the setting of the warning?  (I think I know, but the PEP
>   could be clearer here).

How about returning 1 for 'warning turned into exception' and -1 for 'normal
exception' ? It would be slightly more similar to other functions if '-1'
meant 'exception', and it would be easy to put in an if statement -- and
still allow C code to ignore the produced error, if it wanted to.

> - It would be nice if lineno can be a range specification.  Other
>   matches are based on regexps -- think of this as a line number
>   regexp.

+0 on this... I'm not sure if such fine-grained control is really necessary.
I liked the hint at 'per function' granularity, but I realise it's tricky to
do right, what with naming issues and all that.

> - Regexp matching on messages should be case insensitive.

How about being able to pass in compiled regexp objects as well as strings ?
I haven't looked at the implementation at all, so I'm not sure how expensive
it would be, but it might also be nice to have users (= programmers) pass in
an object with its own 'match' method, so you can 'interactively' decide
whether or not to raise an exception, popup a window, and what not. Sort of
like letting 'action' be a callable, which I think is a good idea as well.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>