[Python-Dev] {}.popitem() (was Re: {}.first[key,value,item] ...)

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:12:56 +0100

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> > Hmm, I must have missed that one... care to repost ?
>
> doesn't everyone here read the daily URL?

No time for pull logic... only push logic ;-)

> here's a link:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-December/010913.html

Thanks.

A very nice introduction indeed. The only thing which
didn't come through in the first reading: why do we need
GF(p^n)'s in the first place ? The second reading then made this
clear: we need to assure that by iterating through the set of
possible coefficients we can actually reach all slots in the
dictionary... a gem indeed.

Now if we could only figure out an equally simple way of
producing perfect hash functions on-the-fly we could eliminate
the need for the PyObject_Compare()s... ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg