[Python-Dev] Splitting up _cursesmodule

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:03:59 -0500

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org>:
> > So curses must stay in the core.  I don't have a requirement for
> > panels; my present curses front end simulates them. But if panels were
> > integrated into the core I could simplify the front-end code
> > significantly.  Every line I can remove from my stuff (even if it, in
> > effect, is just migrating into the Python core) makes it easier to
> > sell CML2 into the kernel.
>
> On the other hand you may want to be conservative.  You already have
> to require Python 2.0 (I presume).  The panel stuff will be available
> in 2.1 at the earliest.  You probably shouldn't throw out your panel
> emulation until your code has already been accepted...

Yes, that's how I am currently expecting it to play out -- but if the 2.4.0
kernel is delayed another six months, I'd change my mind.  I'll explain this,
because python-dev people should grok what the surrounding politics and timing
are.

I actually debated staying with 1.5.2 as a base version.  What changed
my mind was two things.  One: by going to 2.0 I could drop close to 600
lines and three entire support modules from CML2, slimming down its
footprint in the kernel tree significantly (by more than 10% of the
entire code volume, actually).

Second: CML2 is not going to be seriously evaluated until 2.4.0 final is out.
Linus made this clear when I demoed it for him at LWE.  My best guess about
when that will happen is late January into Februrary.  By the time Red Hat
issues its next distro after that (probably May or thenabouts) it's a safe
bet 2.0 will be on it, and everywhere else.

But if the 2.4.0 kernel slips another six months yet again, and our
2.1 commes out relatively quickly (like, just before the 9th Python
Conference :-)) then we *might* have time to get 2.1 into the distros
before CML2 gets the imprimatur.

So, gentlemen, vote for panels to go in if you think the 2.4.0 kernel
will be delayed yet again :-).

Ideology, politics and journalism, which luxuriate in failure, are
impotent in the face of hope and joy.
	-- P. J. O'Rourke