(offtopic) RE: [Python-Dev] Python 2.0 license and GPL

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:17:08 -0500

    M> It's the view of the FSF, AFAIK. You can't distribute an
    M> application in binary which dynamically links against
    M> libreadline (which is GPLed) on the user's machine, since even
    M> though you don't distribute libreadline the application running
    M> on the user's machine is considered the "whole" in terms of the
    M> GPL.

    M> FWIW, I don't agree with that view either, but that's probably
    M> because I'm a programmer and not a lawyer :)

I'm not sure I agree with that view either, but mostly because there
is a non-GPL replacement for parts of the readline API:

    http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/downloads/editline.html

Don't know anything about it, so it may not be featureful enough for
Python's needs, but if licensing is really a problem, it might be
worth looking into.

-Barry