(offtopic) RE: [Python-Dev] Python 2.0 license and GPL

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:54:25 +0100

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 04:03:04AM -0800, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 11:17:08AM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> > I'm not sure I agree with that view either, but mostly because there
> > is a non-GPL replacement for parts of the readline API:
> >
> >     http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/downloads/editline.html
>
> It doesn't work with the current readline module.  It is much
> smaller than readline and works just as well in my experience.
> Would there be any interest in including a copy with the standard
> distribution?  The license is quite nice (X11 type).

Definately +1 from here. Readline reminds me of the cold war, for some
reason. (Actually, multiple reasons ;) I don't have time to do it myself,
unfortunately, or I would. (Looking at editline has been on my TODO list for
a while... :P)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>