[Python-Dev] Death to string functions!

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:30:38 +0100

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 11:25:17AM -0500, Greg Wilson wrote:

> +1 on deprecating string functions.

How wonderfully ambiguous ! Do you mean string methods, or the string module?
:)

FWIW, I agree that in time, the string module should be deprecated. But I
also think that 'in time' should be a considerable timespan. Don't deprecate
it before everything it provides is available though some other means. Wait
a bit longer than that, even, before calling it deprecated -- that scares
people off. And then keep it for practically forever (until Py3K) just to
support old code. And don't forget to document it 'deprecated' everywhere,
not just one minor release note.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>