[Python-Dev] scp with SourceForge

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:52:40 -0500

[Fred L. Drake, Jr.]
>   I've not been able to get scp to work with SourceForge since they
> upgraded their machines.  ssh works fine.

Same here.  In particular, I can use ssh to log in to shell.sourceforge.net,
but attempts to scp there act like this (breaking long lines by hand with
\n\t):

> scp -v pep-0042.html
	tim_one@shell.sourceforge.net:/home/groups/python/htdocs/peps
Executing: host shell.sourceforge.net, user tim_one,
	command scp -v -t /home/groups/python/htdocs/peps
SSH Version 1.2.14 [winnt-4.0-x86], protocol version 1.4.
Standard version.  Does not use RSAREF.
ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
Connecting to shell.sourceforge.net [216.136.171.201] port 22.
Connection established.
Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1
Waiting for server public key.
Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
Host 'shell.sourceforge.net' is known and matches the host key.
Initializing random; seed file C:\Code/.ssh/random_seed
IDEA not supported, using 3des instead.
Encryption type: 3des
Sent encrypted session key.
Received encrypted confirmation.
Trying RSA authentication with key 'sourceforge'
Server refused our key.
Doing password authentication.
Password:  **** here tim enteredth his password ****
Sending command: scp -v -t /home/groups/python/htdocs/peps
Entering interactive session.

And there it sits forever.  Several others report the same symptom on SF
forums, and assorted unresolved SF Support and Bug reports.  We don't know
what your symptom is!

> Is this related to the protocol mismatch problem that was discussed
> earlier?

Doubt it.  Most commentators pin the blame elsewhere.

>   Was there a reasonable way to deal with this?

A new note was added to

http://sourceforge.net/support/?func=detailsupport&support_id=110235&group_i
d=1

today, including:

"""
Re: Shell server

We're also aware of the number of problems on the shell server with respect
to restricitive permissions on some programs - and sourcing of shell
environments.  We're also aware of the troubles with scp and transferring
files.  As a work around, we recommend either editing files on the shell
server, or scping files to the shell server from external hosts to the shell
server, whilst logged in to the shell server.
"""

So there you go:  scp files to the shell server from external hosts to the
shell server whilst logged in to the shell server <wink>.

Is scp working for *anyone*???