[Python-Dev] Re: [Patches] [Patch #102813] _cursesmodule: Add panel support

Charles G Waldman cgw@fnal.gov
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:07:47 -0600 (CST)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. writes:

 >   The catch, of course, is Python/cevel.c, where breaking it up can
 > hurt performance.  People scream when you do things like that....

Quoting again from the same source:

 Use helper functions with descriptive names (you can ask the compiler
 to in-line them if you think it's performance-critical, and it will
 probably do a better job of it that you would have done).

But I should have pointed out that I was quoting the great Linus
mostly for entertainment/cultural value, and was not really trying to
add fuel to the fire.  In other words, a message that I thought was
amusing, but probably shouldn't have sent ;-)