[Python-Dev] Fwd: try...else

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 15:27:40 -0500

[Robin Becker]
> The 2.0 docs clearly state 'The optional else clause is executed when no
> exception occurs in the try clause.' This makes it sound as though it
> gets executed on the 'way out'.

Of course.  That's not what the docs meant, though, and Guido is not going
to change the implementation now because that would break code that relies
on how Python has always *worked* in these cases.  The way Python works is
also the way Guido intended it to work (I'm allowed to channel him when he's
on vacation <0.9 wink)>.

Indeed, that's why I suggested a specific doc change.  If your friend would
also be confused by that, then we still have a problem; else we don't.